Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Talking to Strangers

Nothing makes you miss Oregon like pulling up to a gas station on a cold, windy day knowing you have to get out of your warm car, brave the elements, and fill up your gas tank yourself. However, this experience was redeemed yesterday by a snippet of conversation with the man filling up on the other side of the pump.
I was minding my own business, watching my money be sucked away, when I hear, "You are a lot braver than I am."
Although I had been singing probably louder than is acceptable in public when there is no music playing, I wasn't sure what he was referring to. So I said, "Pardon?"
"You're wearing a dress out here. It's really cold." He informed me.
"Oh," I said. And knowing perfectly well what he meant, I countered, "Well, sir, you would have to be really brave to wear a dress, that's true."
He didn't look as amused as I was, got in his car, and drove away leaving me to resume my singing.

No comments: