Friday, January 7, 2011

Ending 2010

The last thing I did in 2010 was overheat my CJ.  It sounds unpleasant, but I ended up having a pretty good time - let me explain.

I was driving home from work on the 31st when the cab of the Jeep started to fill with steam.  I was just at the top of the hill coming out of Portland, so I pulled off at the next exit and into a parking lot.  I like to think of myself as a problem solver, so I thought I'd check out what was going on under the hood:


I'm no mechanic, but I was pretty sure those two loose ends ought to be connected.  With encouragement from a stranger we'll call Helpful McPasserby, I got up the nerve to cancel the tow I had called for and fix it myself.  Before digging in, I of course had to go into the coffee shop upon whose parking lot I was imposing so I could warm up.  The thoughtful baristas saw my plight and gave me a warm drink for free!

Thoroughly warmed in both body and spirit, I walked across the street to a convenience store for a screw driver and some coolant.  They had neither.  But the helpful attendant showed me that a dime will do the trick when you don't have a screw driver.  Wouldn't you know it, that was the only coin in my wallet!

Using my dime, I successfully unclamped, reattached, and reclamped the hose.  But I needed coolant.  Here I met my Waterloo.  I had to call my dad since Josh was at work and have him run some up to me.  While I was waiting, I had 3 or 4 strangers stop and make sure I was okay though.  All in all I lost a couple hours, but I ended 2010 feeling pretty good about my community.

1 comment:

Nike Athena said...

Those frustrating moments are often the times you get to see a little beauty in the world. I'm glad it all worked out!