Friday, June 20, 2008

The Red Cross

After a week of sleeping late, blissfully spending my days putting my little home together, and going anywhere I pleased in the middle of the day, I have returned to the life of the employed.

However, I want everyone to go back with me in their memories to when I first blogged about moving to Tulsa and said, "...maybe I'll find a sweet non-profit to work for..." Well, folks, that dream has also come true. I was hired by the Tulsa Chapter of the Red Cross. I get to spend my days processing donations and directing the money into the proper disaster funds. The excitement level is similar to my previous job (ahem), but now I am busier and I get the satisfaction of knowing my number crunching means something to needy people.

Plus, if disaster strikes, everyone gets shuffled around and goes into superhero mode. So I could be asked to gather volunteers, or hand out food, or field phone calls, or clean up debris, or anything. That possibility excites me, too. Not that I'm hoping disasters happen to people just so I can feel good about helping, of course. But since they do happen, it will be nice to be able to do something.

Anyway, I've put in three glorious, non-profit filled days and am just so pleased about the organization, my coworkers, what I get to do, how close it is to our house, and just everything about it.

Sorry. I'm finished gushing about it now.

3 comments:

Zach said...

Sweet! I just got my CPR/AED cert from the Red Cross

Cara said...

Glad you have a job and that you love it so much! Sounds great!

Laurie Tomlinson said...

I hope everything is going great for you! Your husband is from BA, right? If you need someone to show you the ropes, I know someone who knows a thing or two :)