Thursday, March 26, 2009

Indignant Rants Require Many Italics

1. You're a thrift store 2. You're in Oklahoma Who in the world said it was okay to sell furniture at outrageous prices?! Who goes to the Salvation Army prepared to buy a $500 sofa?!

We're looking for a table for our back porch. We want to spend no more than $15. If we were in Oregon, this would not be a problem. Used items are reasonably priced in Oregon. You can buy a full-sized table that seats six from the Goodwill on TV Highway for $15 and go home happy. But nooooooo, not here because for some reason Oklahomans think their crap is gold. There was a table that was no more than 3 feet in diameter at the HOW Thrift Store and it did not have a price tag. This table was not real wood. It had white painted legs that are now mostly brown because somebody had smeared them with poop (maybe it was dirt). It had a couple scratches on top and was complete with the occasional crayon swirl. I asked the clerk, "How much for that table?" He looked at it for a second and said, "I'd take $50 for it." I'm pretty sure I laughed in his face. I had seen the very same table, minus the poop and crayon, for $40 at an antique store already today. I wouldn't pay $40 for the nice one, I surely won't pay $50 for the poopy one. I can get a new table from IKEA for less than that. I told him I would give him $15 and he declined. So Josh and I talked loudly about how overpriced it was for a minute before continuing on our way.
Next we went to the Salvation Army (the one with the $500 sofa in the front). They had a table that would maybe seat 2. It was once painted, but most of the paint had worn off. It was marked $100. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

These are thrift stores, people. This is Oklahoma. Who do you think you are? Seriously.

4 comments:

Cara said...

dude i know! i went today too and was like, what the heck?!?!

Laurie Tomlinson said...

we had a garage sale and took the leftovers to that same HOW Foundation and they said, "Sorry. We only take Abercrombie and Hollister." WOW.

Lindsey said...

I'm sensing a little "stateism". Did I just make up another ridiculous thing for people to be offended about? Possibly.

RTQ said...

I think you're overreacting. I mean if those things were built in the heavenly borders of the greatest state that there will ever be, OKLAHOMA, then I'd say they were giving you a good deal...